Subject: Re: [Leica] HYPOfocal distance
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:02:25 -0700

Sorry to burst your bubble, Brad, but hyperfocal focusing has been around as long
as there have been focusable lenses and depth of field scales.

My copy of the Leica Manual, edition 12, 1951, had a handy dandy algorithm for
calculating depth of field.  It uses parameters such as circle of confusion, which
really isn't as confusing as it sounds, and effective diameter of the lens.  If you can
find a copy of this manual, probably any edition, look in the chapter on lenses.  You
will also find an algorithm for calculation hyperfocal distance.  This is a handy book
for anyone interested in the technical aspect of the equipment, Leicaphiles or
otherwise.

Dave Richards