Subject: Re: [Leica] 13% or 23% ?
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:28:43 +0200

This is confusing. But it is worthwhile to try to understand it. And
you are not the only one to be confused. The penultimate issue of
Réponses Photo said that the area measured expressed as a percentage
of negative size got smaller and smaller as you change from wide
angle to telephoto lenses. Absolute bs, and they corrected the error
in the current issue.

First of all I think there is a misprint in  both _my_ manuals, and
this is what causes the confusion They say the diameter of the spot
is two-thirds of the short side of the viewfinder framelines for the
lens you are using. Now that would correspond to a spot diameter of
16 mm (two thirds of 24 mm). If that was true, then the 23% measured
area is correct.

I measured the spot in  _my_  cameras by inserting a strip of paper
just a bit larger than the diameter of the white spot. I then cut off
a bit of the paper until it was as wide as the spot and then I
measured the paper. Indeed it was 12 mm. As you can easily calculate,
12 mm diameter approximates 13% of the film area. And one third of
the long size. BTW, Réponses Photo also quotes the 13%, although they
initially said that it only applied when 21 mm lenses were used.

Let me suggest you try out what is measured by doing a practical
test. Put a sheet of white paper on a real dark wall and start your
experiment by measuring only the dark area and set time/aperture for
'correct' exposure. Use the widest angle lens you have as that makes
it easier to estimate where the white spot is relative to the
viewfinder frame. Then move in the direction of the white sheet of
paper. If you move horizontally you will see that the red arrows in
the viewfinder start moving once the white sheet of paper comes into
the middle third of the viewfinder area. Now you know for sure what
your light meter measures

Funnily enough, my manuals never mention 13% of the negative size,
but it has a 1994 print date on the back. What date is your manual?