Subject: Re: [Leica] Where I live, how I live
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:06:12 +0200

Graham, bland is a very loaded word, and not perhaps what I should have
used, forgive me. I wouldn't have posted anything about them if I didn't
like them a lot. Let me put it like this: the pictures are sort of
emotionally neutral, or detached. I feel that landscape is a genre which
requires an emotional input of some sort, and that is what I was missing.
That can take the form of weather, lighting, or many other more or less
clichéd tricks - like heavy burning in. I feel your pictures were missing
this dimension, although they are very successful formally. But of course,
they're _your_ pictures, after all!

Anyway, please don't think I was putting your pictures down, OK. Landscape
is very difficult and not something I've ever been able to do well - which
is why all my pictures are of people.

R.