Subject: Re: [Leica] Small pocketable camera
From: "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:01:33 -0500

I have the CL and the Minilux, and the CL is *not* a pocket camera.

The Minilux makes really good shots, has lots of control, fast lens,
and an automatic lens cover.  It does fit in a front pants pocket,
unless you wear jeans or a size smaller than you should.

It looks like anyone's camera, so you can use it in places that people
might frown at you shooting a more *serious* looking camera.   Really
nice hearty finish that resists scratches.

Bad things?  1/400th top shutter speed makes it hard to use 800 ISO
film for all-around; the previously mentioned push
the-button-six-times-to-turn-off-the-flash.

Erwin Puts says:  "Overall, it is a fine camera, which is suitable to
cover many an assignment where now the M-system is used and exploiting
its potential is a joy and a challenge. I might be tempted to say that
the mastering of the Minilux is the final exam for becoming an
experienced Leica user."

I might not go that far, but It does require a learning curve; it's
easy to accidentally flip the distance from AF to infinity, and the AF
patch in the viewfinder is small, so it's tough to just shoot from the
hip.

Lovely camera, and nice for a big handed guy.

Sonny