Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 35...Scott
From: Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:47:16 -0500

Steve,
    I prefer the alternates to the main. I think that the look in his eyes in the second
alternate really captures the spunky outlook you describe in your caption below.  The main
seems to me too dominated by the instruments of his treatment, while the alternates capture
his humanity.
    Steve, your series of patient photographs is really powerful.  It might be worth
considering putting together in some sort of collection, perhaps a book with the proceeds
going toward a charity for ill children?
    Each time I look at your photos I think back to a discussion in which I participated in a
college seminar.  Our group read the Book of Job, and I remember being struck by the argument
that terrible things sometimes provide great beauty.  It's a line of reasoning with which
I've always disagreed, but it must be said that we are able to see the great courage and
strength of these children in their suffering.  That doesn't, for me, mitigate their
suffering, but it makes these photographs profoundly moving.
Regards,
Michael Gerard
geeman1066@earthlink.net