Subject: [Leica] FS or T Friday, Tamron SP 300mm 1:2.8 LD(IF) in Nikon mount....
From: "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:22:55 -0700

Please pardon my Friday FS entry a little early... I will out of town from
now until Monday, so considering it is Friday somewhere in the world, please
overlook my haste....

If you also use a SLR (Nikon) in addition to our beloved Leica gear, and if
you have a Leica body to spare,  I might have a trade of interest for you.

I have a Tamron SP 300mm F2.8 LD(IF) lens in Nikon mount that seldom gets
used anymore. Earlier in my days, I used this lens with much success while
shooting sporting events such as football and baseball. But these days, it
gets little use. I think I have used it twice in the past year or so. It is
a LARGE and HEAVY lens. It does have a palm holding attachment, but I used
it 99% of the time mounted on a monopod.

The lens has some paint wear here and there, but I would rate it about a 9
in appearance. Optically speaking, the glass is flawless. No scratches, mars
or marks anywhere. And speaking of optics, this is the sharpest lens at this
focal length I have ever seen. Truly stunning. I will tell you, when I
purchased this lens, I had access to several Nikons in this same length and
speed range. This particular Tamron beat them all in terms of sharpness and
contrast. New, I think I paid $1,500 for it. Mechanically, the lens is
sound, with positive stops, and smooth focusing, (manual focus of course).
There is a focus ring lock, and a vertical - horizontal lock for changing
perspective while the lens is mounted on the pod.

I have the lens, the large front cap, the large shade, rear cap, palm
holder, 1.4 teleconverter, internal filter, booklet and a case. Note
however, the case is not the flimsy one that Tamron provides. I replaced the
case with a nylon, heavily padded Nikon bag years ago.

This lens is great for sports, news, wildlife..... or even family snapshots
if you want snapshots of the family across the street!  :-) Every now and
then, lens like these can be found on E-Bay selling anywhere from as low as
around $700 or $750 to as high as $1,200 or so.

So, what would I like to trade for?

I would consider a trade for a second MP-4 body in sound condition, or even
a M6 classic or TTL if you have a spare one you don't really need. I would
rather add a second or third body that I might get some use from, rather
than leave this lens in the locker. I'm too old to lug this monster lens
around anymore.

If you are interested, reply off list, and I will be happy to send some
photos of the lens. Satisfaction assured, and hopefuuly it is mutual.

Thanks for your time.

Jim G

J.A. Gatlin Photography
My Work in Black & White