Subject: [Leica] Canadians, slavery and the health care system: OT...oh and Nazis too
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 20:48:46 -0600

Ehh! Of course we had slaves up here in Canada. Being part of the
Commonwealth, we got out of it when England did. Unfortunately I would
not consider that the same as never having had slavery in the first
place. I definitely do not think that it gives us any moral high ground
over the US or even the Sudan (and others) where it still goes on today.

I have never figured out why the Canadian health care system gets some
people all riled up. It is not perfect by any means but I can assure you
it works very well. In independent studies, it delivers better health
care at a significantly lower cost than other places quite close to us.
You do not have to like it or adopt it but please let us enjoy it in
peace!

As to the whole Nazi thing...I was delighted to read about the role of
the Leitz family and company in the last issue of the Viewfinder. They
are examples to us all.

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Canadians, slavery and the health care system: OT...oh and Nazis too)
Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Canadians, slavery and the health care system: OT...oh and Nazis too)