Subject: Re: [Leica] Qualitative difference; Was: Guess the Lens
From: Matthew Powell <mlpowell@directvinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:48:12 -0500

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 04:25 PM, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
> And don't say that because you can make a wonderful image with a 35mm
> Cosina/Voigtlander, that it is the same thing as a 35 ASPH Summicron.
> The
> image will not be the same and the Cosina is not likely to be delivering
> anything in 36 years while my 36 year-old 35 Summicron is still
> cranking out
> very beautiful images as is my 44 year-old DR Summicron.
> And a friend of mine is today having  joyous driving experiences in a
> 1961
> Porsche Super 90 identical to the one I drove in Paris 41 years ago.

One thing about this example: you can get better performance for a
better price from new equipment - a Miata will perform nearly as well,
if not better, than a fourty-year old Porsche. In 36 years, you may not
be able to get 35mm film, much less a need to shoot it.

Replies: Reply from "Ted Bayer" <tedbayer@harbornet.com> (Re: [Leica] Qualitative difference; Was: Guess the Lens)