Subject: RE:[Leica] Guess the Lens
From: "Felix Lopez de Maturana" <fmaturana@euskalnet.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:18:01 +0200

>Actually, this is the only place on the net where I waste my days. I
>subscribed briefly to the Rollei list, probably posted a half-dozen times,
>and unsubscribed because it was of no interest to me. I lurk on the
>Piezography list, as I am a Piezo printer, but have probably posted there a
>dozen times in a couple years.
>
>What really amazes me is this "B. D. is anti-Leica rant." I use and love my
>Ms and the fabulous glass I own. That doesn't mean I have to go along with
>the utterly nonsensically Leica religiosity of some on this list. It is a
>camera, guys, nothing more or less. Owning one does NOT, despite what some
>seem to think, make one a great, good, or even mediocre photographer. Nor
>does owning one make one somehow socially superior to those who don't own
>them. It's a very well made box that you use to take photos. It may work
for
>you as a tool better than any other photo making tool. Great. It does so
for
>me, too. But don't ascribe mythical properties to it. And don't ascribe
some
>sort of mythical properties or intelligence to the company that makes it.
>
>If that attitude make me "anti-Leica," so be it. I happen to think it makes
>me somewhat rational.
>
>And as to being "anti-Canon" or "anti-Nikon," I am unaware of any
meaningful
>number of photographers worshiping at the Churches of Canon or Nikon. Yes,
>there are people who prefer one over the other for specific reasons. But by
>and large, Canon and Nikon users who I know tend to think of themselves as
>just that, Canon and Nikon "users;" not "Canon photographers" and "Nikon
>photographers."
>
>B. D.

Hi B.D.

When a amateur buy a camera and after that follow increasing his equipent
makes two things: spend a considerable amount of money and makes a choice.
He strongly thinks his choice is the best possible choice. Just someone
doubts that his choice is right makes him ill! There are an emotional charge
in his behaviour. If you doubt that his choice is the best you are attacking
him! I'm in Canon, Nikon, Contax, Hasselblad, Bronica and Large format lists
and everywhere everyone is exactly the same. But when we find out equipment
that has inherently some prestige united then things became worse. Say to a
Mercedes owner his car is not the best in the world, or a Rolex one his
watch is worse than a qurtz Swatch and this is the war. For many body we
"are" that we "own" instead of we are that we have made of ourselves. The
use of prestige brands ensure us that our ownerships will last but,
surprisingly, makes us (?) more important people! So don't dare attack
(that's doubting rational approach of buying) Leica or Hasselblad owners.

A pro is a diferent matter. This is a investment and so it  has to have the
rigth draw back and you calculate the income that it will produce so you
"need" to buy it rationally. No emotion is allowed. However I've found some
pros in the lists with the same approach than furious amateurs! Others gear
is garbage! Or extremely expensive oldfashioned manual german gear owned
only by scornfull haughty stupids! Nosenses!

Kind regards

Felix