Subject: RE: [Leica] Portrait of Marianne = bad mistake
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 11:38:29 -0400

A silly post once again, Fred. I buy my equipment based on my photographic
needs, not on its resale value. Certainly, if I can find an inexpensive lens
that does the job, I'll buy it. But if any expensive lens does the job best,
that's what I'll go for. I had an older 35 1.4 Summilux, but I got rid of it
and replaced it with the 35 Summilux ASPH, which is a vastly superior lens
wide open in terms of flare suppression, contrast, lack of distortion, and
sharpness. I replaced a 21 preasph with the asph for the same reason.

The main reason the older Leica equipment holds some of its value - and if
you compare the purchase prices to the current prices in current dollars,
you'll see that it actually holds very very little value, can be explained
in two words, neither of which have anything what so ever to do with image
quality - "mystique," and "collectors."

And, by the way, Fred, what possible reason would I or anyone else have to
feel the need to justify buying a barging lens? After all, we're all
interested in photography, not status, aren't we? ;-)

B. D.