Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 Elmarit Experiences?
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 16:01:16 -0400

I find the 75-90 focal length ideal for portraiture where some background
intrudes.  With a fast lens 1.4 to 2 you can still make the background go
away if you focus very carefully on the eyes: at 1.4 even the eyebrows start
to blur.

So, with a 2.8 lens, even wide open you do not go to extremes in oof areas.
As to M versus SLR only you can answer that.  Some individuals find the
always on viewfinder of the M more of an advantage than the limitations of
not knowing exactly what is or isn't in focus.

You will find that in the Leica, Zeiss, Canon, and Nikon world that the 85
to 90 world is sometimes way to informative as far as fine detail.  Some of
us find the use of the various softars almost a necessity for not young
individuals.  I can say that the M elmarit and two R elmarits that I own are
some of the best lenses as far as fine detail rendering.  Shoot, by F4 even
my ancient post exchange 85 Serener from the early 50's is scarily sharp
although somewhat lacking in really fine detail..

So, likes: sharp, easy to focus, good gradient to out of focus, relatively
light, little to no distortion, focus close for tight shots, filters are
fairly cheap.

Dislikes: not fast enough.  If money is not really an object and an extra
200 grams of weight isn't going to drag you to earth then I would suggest
going for an F2 variant as twice the light is a good thing sometimes, and
sometimes the only way to get a shot.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com