Subject: [Leica] Three modes of photography for the field soldier
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 01:53:36 EDT

I do three modes of photography. Field work. And precision field work when
it's possible. What's the difference. A tripod. You can do both modes with a
film or digital still camera.

Most landscapes, architecture, still lifes, night scenes and formal portraits
can be done with a tripod. Street and event photography can seldom be done
with a tripod; that is the domain of fast shutter speeds, fast film, fast
lenses, prefocused camera and a rock steady hand -- if there is such a thing.

There is a third mode: flash. Flash (blitz) can turn field work into a
compromised form of precision field work. The flash mode is invaluable for
poorly lit interiors where mood or ambiance isn't necessary. I use bounce
whenever possible.

A tripod is the photographer's rifle. The telephoto lens is his scope. A
pocket tripod is his sidearm.

The camera is the organic equipment: binoculars and memory. That's where he
finds and keeps his victories.

How's that for a graphic mnemonic.

Best,
Bob