Subject: Re: [Leica] the latest madness
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:45:51 +0200

It was quite an interesting event actually. Ted made some jokes about
slavery. I suspect that the people who got angry at him will have made the
politically simplistic equation slavery=black slavery in the US.
Unfortunately, slavery is a major phenomenon in the modern world, with over
200 million slaves worldwide at the moment (can't remember the source, UN
most likely), and no-one has a monopoly on victimhood, nor does anyone hold
the moral high ground in this area.

Ted left the list - well too bad. He has pissed plenty of people off in his
time and he's also been very helpful to a lot of people on this list (I
myself have a pair of his underpants as a lens cleaning cloth), but his
mythical status might seem a bit puzzling to an outsider. But I'm sure that
he wouldn't have had the career he has had, if he wasn't hard as nails
underneath the grampa exterior. He'll be back eventually - who could resist
the adulation?

Unfortunately the LUG is singularly devoid of a sense of humour and doesn't
tolerate satire very well - which is pretty much par for the course for the
internet.

Now if BD left the list - that would be a disaster, in quantitative terms at
least!  ;-)

R.