Subject: [Leica] Flatbed scanner comment: Creo-Scitex
From: John Nebel <nebel@csdco.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 16:58:50 -0600 (MDT)

They are pretty expensive, but one can get excellent results out of a
Creo-Scitex Eversmart Supreme (www.creo.com).  They have a pretty good
system for batch scanning using a template, pre-cut ones for 35mm are
supplied with the scanner.  The specs are 5.6k optical resolution, 16 bit
color, dmax 4.3.

For the challenge, I offered to produce a duplicate of an old 36"x 36" map
in the Colorado Springs Pioneer Museum.  It is heavily used by civil
engineers, but was falling apart and irreplaceable.  Someone had attempted
to save it by gluing it to a board.  I tried photographing it with a
Sinarback 44HR (which can accept Leica lenses thereby making this post
not completely off-topic).  In 16-shot mode the Sinar will produce a 8k x
8k image which is not quite good enough to stretch to 36" x 36" - more
like 26" x 26" at 300 dpi.

The alternative was to use Fuji Astia in an 8x10 camera and scan the
transparency with a Creo.  That worked fine with great detail in the
enlargement on a Light Jet printer.

Also interesting that one of the best electronic backs is still no match
for film.

John Nebel