Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica info/discussion reources?
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:25:39 -0700 (PDT)

Oh there are a lot of us out here willing to talk
about cameras and lenses.

Like any other system a lot of this is personal taste.
 If you like shooting people you may make different
lens choices than someone shooting landscapes. Also
budget makes a big difference, and what makes up a
system for you (one body, two ,more? 2 lenses, 3,
10?). Do you want new or used? Do you already have
some Leica gear and are expanding or are you just
getting into it? Switching from another rangefinder,
SLR, or something else?

I started with on M6TTL, a 35mm f1.4 ASPH and a 90mm
f2 APO about three years ago.  That was a pretty
expensive start, but I figured I would be keeping the
equipment for many years (my medium format equipment
is all 1970's vintage and still in regular use) so I
decided I'd rather buy once and get the fastest lens
available rather than getting something used or slower
and upgrading if I wasn't happy. Since then I have
added other bodies and lenses.

Along the way, I've also been very happy with some of
the Cosina/Voigtlander lenses.  I went with very wide
ones like the 12, and the 15, and also went with the
C/V 75mm because I just wasn't sure if there was
enough of a difference between my 50 and my 90 to
justify the 75mm f1.4, and at $300 a used C/V 75 was
worth playing with for a while to see what I thought
of the focal length.  I think I've decided that there
is enough difference for a 75mm to make sense, but the
C/V lens is good enough that I am not in a big hurry
to drop the approx. $2K that a new Leica 75 will run.

One word of caution. I went with Leicas because they
were light and had great lenses. Now my Leica bag
weighs 23 pounds, still less than half of the weight
of the M/F stuff, but not exactly the five pound
system I had in mind. Good luck, and you'll probably
see that the more questions you ask the more long
winded we get.

Oh, and I'll second the use the delete key if you
don't want the off topic stuff.  It's usually pretty
obvious from the subjects. I managed to miss the
"madness" and "Canadians/slaves, etc." entirely. DJ