Subject: Re: [Leica] the latest madness
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 21:05:18 -0700

What we have just seen here on the LUG is yet another example of the cancer
of political correctness.  There is a class of intellectual Stalinists who
believe that a person should lose their job, their reputation and their
place in the community if they *ever* are caught making even *one* remark
that could in *any* way be construed to be offensive to anyone whose
forbears have ever suffered at the hands of the majority.

I have seen such people close up in university and public sector
environments.  The problem is that they rarely expose any real
bigots.  They usually just ruin the life of some poor schmuck who happened
to make an inappropriate remark due to fatigue, anger, use of a linguistic
construct that they grew up with but has fallen out of vogue, or the fact
that we all say stupid things sometimes.

Even worse are the people who use P.C. not to right past wrongs, but simply
as a tool to gain power, cow their opponents, and denigrate others.  Or
simply to cause trouble.

There is plenty of real bigotry to fight in the world.  Being part of the
Linguistic Thought Police does not aid in that fight.  It trivializes
it.  It creates a distracting side show of tarring and feathering and
making an example of someone. Meanwhile, real bigotry, much more skillful
at concealing itself, continues unabated.  And many ordinary people become
so disgusted with the side shows that when real bigotry is exposed, they
think someone is just crying wolf.

So, to the one who started this, and to his amen corner,
congratulations.  Because of his one mildly inappropriate remark, you've
managed to purge the LUG of one of its finest members.  Don't you feel
proud of yourselves?

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] the latest madness)