Subject: [Leica] FW: Epson 2200 UltraChrome 100 Hr Fade test
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 23:40:25 -0600

From the Digital BW list (so most concerned of B&W fading as opposed to
colour

Subject:UltraChrome 100 Hr Fade test

The test of the UltraChrome inks, using matte black on EAM, has reached 100
hours in my fluorescent light fader.  The light level in this tester is
weaker than those used by some others, so the results after 100 hours are
preliminary.  That said, I think they have proved to be rather good
indicators of ultimate performance.

The 2200 UltraChromes were tested against the PiezoTone-selenium (PT-S)
inkset on EAM, and the MIS FS-N inkset on EAM.

The bottom line is that the UltraChrome inks look very impressive.  In terms
of fading, they appear to have midtones that are about as stable as the
PiezoTone inkset midtones, and the black ink could turn out to be even
better than the MIS VM/FS black.  I've put the densitometer numbers below.

All the inksets look essentially unchanged, so I have not posted a scan.

The big question in my mind is whether the UltraChrome color inks will shift
significantly over time.  Even though the 2200 uses 2 blacks, the image is
still going to be heavily dependent on the color inks.  If they fade at
different rates, the color shifting will be unacceptable for B&W printing,
even if the color can be controlled/neutralized when first printed.  (The
test strips I was given were not specially profiled, and, as such, have a
color tint that I find unappealing.  However, a good profile could
presumably take care of this starting-point tone.)

With the color shifting being a critical issue, I'm stopping the fade test
as currently configured.  I will shift to another configuration for long
term testing.  I'll put in a test strip composed of MIS Archival (including
new yellow) pigments.  With the MIS Archival color pigments I use the VM/FS
black.  So, we'll be able to see a comparison of the relative color shifts
as well as how the best blacks compare.

I'll continue to have a PiezoTone-Selenium in the fader, as the PT inksets
currently have the most light-fast quad midtones I've tested.

I'll let the test with these comparison strips run quite a while so we can
see what the color shifting/differential fading of the color pigments will
look like long term.

I might add that there has been confusion regarding Epson's longevity claims
for the UltraChrome inks.  The Australian Epson website claims 75+ years on
EAM/EEM.  Caponigro has been quoted as reporting Wilhelm numbers as 30+
years on EAM.  I called Epson and talked to several people.  The pre-sale
information person says they are trained to say 100 years.  Another tech
support person said 75-100 years on EAM.  Wilhelm does their testing.

I have tested no inkset that is more fade-resistant, with the possible
exception of the 2000P/7500 pigments.

X-Rite readings (order is cyan, magenta, yellow, and visual):

2200	50% Control: 0.55, 0.55, 0.51, 0.57;
	     100 Hr: 0.54, 0.55, 0.51, 0.57;

	100% Control: 1.71, 1.74, 1.77, 1.73;
	      100 Hr: 1.72, 1.75, 1.78, 1.73;

PT-S  50% Control: 0.68, 0.69, 0.68, 0.69;
	     100 Hr: 0.68, 0.69, 0.69, 0.69;

	100% Control: 1.70, 1.72, 1.72, 1.71;
	      100 Hr: 1.67, 1.69, 1.70, 1.67;

FS-N  50% Control: 0.71, 0.70, 0.69, 0.71;
	     100 Hr: 0.69, 0.68, 0.67, 0.69;

	100% Control: 1.64, 1.65, 1.67, 1.65;
	      100 Hr: 1.63, 1.65, 1.67, 1.64.