Subject: [Leica] Re-RF question from SLR
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 16:44:26 -0400

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 07:33:43 -0700
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Subject: [Leica] RF question from an SLR kind of guy

Just been looking through some of the photos referenced in the last digest.
While looking at Neal's sunflowers, it hit me (the question, not the
sunflower).  How do you rangefinder people know the appropriate f-stop to
use to get the DOF you want?  I know there is a DOF scale, but that doesn't
tell you how a particular background will react to a given f-stop.  Do you
take many photos at different stops and choose the best?????  Is it just
experience?

Aram,
Really it is both experience and several different f-stops.  I did take several exposures at full aperture, f2, some at middle aperture, f8, and a couple closed
all the way down, f16.  I did have an idea of about what they would produce and thought that the middle one would be the keeper.
Neal