Subject: RE: [Leica] Opinions from BD Colen - First three copies for free.
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 11:51:51 -0400

Rob,

If it is simply based on him looking at B.D.'s pictures, well, what ABOUT
them is the basis for his comment claiming B.D. "has not the skill to be so
dismissive".

Simply looking at them doesn't give me any valid information as to the basis
of Neil's claim.  I've looked at B.D.'s pictures, and their on par with any
of the best of them, and B.D. IS a professional photographer, and B.D. does
also teach photojournalism at a pretty prestigious "institute"...so, I'm
missing how anyone, in their right mind, would even think to claim B.D.
doesn't have "the skill" necessary to comment on others pictures.  Someone
posted pictures, asked for comments, and B.D. commented...what's the big
deal?

B.D. wasn't being mean, he was being honest.  I sometimes don't like
comments some people give me WRT my pictures, like an existing light picture
should have "catch lights" in the 1.5 year old's eyes...which, for many
reasons, is simply technically impossible, much less whether I agree with it
aesthetically or not...  The world is not a studio with assistants following
me around, and children don't stand still very long...

And...anyways, you're not Neil... ;-)

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Opinions from BD Colen - First three copies for free.)