Subject: RE: Subject: RE: [Leica] I See Dead People & PAW Ketchup
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:30:58 -0400

Equally respectfully - I'm not suggesting going into a situation with a
shooting "plan" of any kind. I am suggesting taking a nanosecond to ask
oneself, "why am I tripping the shutter?" And, further, I am suggesting that
a good deal longer be spent going over the resulting negs - or work prints -
asking oneself, "will someone looking at this image be able to see in it
what I saw in the original situation, or did I have much more information
than they have in this single still image?"

As to Winnogrand - Winnogrand had to gifts: the first was an absolutely
amazing eye, which probably functioned on a subconscious level, allowing him
to "see" things which very few mortal see; and he was obviously an
astoundingly good editor, able to pour over thousands and thousands of
images and pull out the comparative handful of truly outstanding images.

B. D.