Subject: Re: [Leica] Yosemite dreams
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 14:47:52 -0400

	I was in Yosemite in late Sept. & early Oct. 2000, then drove
through Tioga Pass over to Mono Lake for a few days.

	Practical matters: There is NO GAS in Yosemite Valley. The
closest gas is 35-40 miles away, which is farther than it sounds,
since you can't drive very fast on the roads around there (unless
you have a death wish). Be sure you're full up before you get to
the Valley or plan on killing a couple hours round trip to get
gas. The road through the park to Tioga Pass also isn't
particularly long, but it took me about six hours to drive it.
Some of this was taken up with photographic stops, but I suspect
that only added two hours at most. Again, this is not a fast
road. There isn't a lot of light after dark in the Valley, and,
of course, even less elsewhere. I didn't have a flashlight and
wished I did.

	Photography: Unless you're planning to photograph wildlife
OUTSIDE the Valley, you don't need any lens longer than 50mm. The
shorter the lens, the better. (The wildlife in the Valley is
*very* tame and you don't need long lenses to photograph the
critters; you can walk right up to them.) Everything at Yosemite
is on a grand scale, more so than you can possibly imagine if
you've never seen it in person; even Ansel Adams at his
considerable best is but a pale shadow of the reality. That's why
you need wide angle lenses. Afternoon and sunset photography,
particularly in color, can be quite effective, with the red of
the setting sun reflected on the faces of many of the formations
(e.g., Cathedral Dome).

	When I went there I took a non-AI Nikon rig (because I thought,
on another part of the trip, that I'd need to copy some documents
and didn't want to carry two complete outfits) with 28mm f/3.5,
55mm f/3.5 Micro-, and 105mm Nikkors. I didn't need the 105. I
also took my trusty IIIc with the Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 Heliar.
Most pictures--certainly all the best ones--were taken with the
15 and 28, and a few with the 55. If I had it to do over, I'd
leave the 105 at home.

	Mono Lake is pretty much the same business, for the same
reasons, though the scale is not quite so grand as Yosemite. You
might want to take some fairly close-up pictures of the sand
tufa, but you won't need to get closer than a DR Summicron will
allow to do this.

	I used ASA 100 color print film and T-400CN at ASA 400, with the
Nikons' built-in meters and a Gossen Pilot for the IIIc. Worked
fine.

	As long as you're more or less in the neighborhood, drive out
the dirt road to Bodie, too, if you have time.

	Good luck.

					Howard Sanner
					flagstad@mindspring.com