Subject: RE: [Leica] scanning B and W - Scan Grayscale or RGB
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:47:39 -0400

Hi Ernie,

Most every scanner (but one that I know of, the Leafscan), scans B&W in RGB
anyway.  What happens when you select B&W, is the scanner scans in RGB and
uses it's "canned" proportions/mix of RGB to give you your grayscale scan.
That makes this process VERY scanner dependant...some may do it better than
others.  I wish that scanner driver writers would make it so YOU could
choose the mix in the driver, but I don't believe any do...like you can do
in PhotoShop...  If you scan in RGB, you then have full control over the mix
in PhotoShop.

My suggestion is to simply try both methods, and see what works best for
you.  You may find the B&W you get from your scanner to be fine for you, and
you may find the RGB conversion takes time, is difficult to get the results
you want or whatever...so there can be many factors that make you "like" one
over the other.  And, you may later change your mind ;-)

IMO, the best B&W scans I've seen are from the Leafscan, as it does not scan
B&W in RGB, but using a single neutral density filter...and IMO, this gives
better tonality than using RGB to scan B&W film.

Regards,

Austin