Subject: [Leica] GeeBees' PAW week 37
From: "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:17:11 +0100

I am well used to entering UK villages for the first time and being
surprised by the grandeur of the village church.  Fotheringhay in
Northamptonshire gave me early warning that its' church was extra special
when I saw it from a distance of a mile or so
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/week_37_alt1.html

Fotheringhay, the birthplace of Richard III, is entered via a bridge flanked
on the left by the church
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/week_37_alt2.html

After being imprisoned for 18 years in various locations Mary Queen of Scots
was brought to Fotheringhay in 1586 and beheaded at the castle in 1587.
Fotheringhay castle was demolished in 1635 on the orders of James I and its'
stone used for other dwellings and walls within the village, only a grassy
mound remains. Blue thistles grow on the old castle site and are supposed to
have been planted there by Mary Queen of Scots as she awaited her execution.
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/week_37_alt3.html

The village takes about thirty seconds to drive through from crossing the
bridge to reaching the last houses shown on the left of this pic
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/week_37_alt4.html

PAW 37 The church
http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/week_37.html

PAW Index: