Subject: Re: [Leica] A Number One - and ZorCa first light
From: "Dizel" <webmaster@fucha.pl>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:48:17 +0200

> Many months ago - obviously you haven't been reading some of the postings
> lately  ;>)

...only writing.. :P

Now to ZorCa:
As some of you probably know, I started a project of building a camera,
using Leica II shutter/rangefinder parts, found by me on a flea market,
and body covering/top plate/baseplate/some parts of Zorki Ie I already
had in my drawer. Project took some 1 1/2 month, included new curtains,
CLA by myself :), some new parts for a rangefinder path. Currently,
ZorCa (if someone has a better name - please help me name this camera),
equipped with Russian Industar 61 L/D (2.8/55) show me first results.
And I am definitely happy, because it seems that whole thing is working
very good. Shutter is quiet, a lot quieter than this in majority of Russian
Leica copies, RF is perfectly cleand, wind is smooth, speeds are calibrated
within some 15 percent..
Ladies and Gentleman - below lies a link to first light from ZorCa:
http://watteau.neurosoft.net/zorca.jpg
and above in king size :) (over 500 kB)
http://watteau.neurosoft.net/zorca_big.jpg

What stroke me is that almost everything fits perfectly; springs are the same,
every single hole is identical, you can use Zorki I screws on Leica II and
vice versa.. Just tooling of Leica parts is better. Zorki vulcanite is
much more crude - put then don't peel at all and is still elastic.
Photo was made with fully opened Industar - and, as it was expected
with this Tessar design, central portion is sharp and definition
lessens in edges - just like in 50mm Elmars. Contrast is very good,
there is also flare - but limited to area just near light source
( sun, lightly shaded by clouds, was shining throug the trees into the
lens, as is visible here).

I will post a ZorCa photos as soon as I will have some more time.

Best :)
- --
                                St.