Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 37 - BeePoo!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:51:13 -0700

faneuil wrote:

> My son digging - or as it calls it "BeePoo"  (the sound a truck backing up)
> My first experiments with a borrowed 90mm Elmarit..
> I love Fuji NPH - just a pain to scan.
> Do the colors look oversaturated on your end?
> Skin tones OK?
>
> http://home.nycap.rr.com/faneuil/week37.htm

No overall over saturation here. They eye contact is a big plus for this shot.

You focused on the back of the truck on the left  and in front of  your
son who is then just slightly behind the plane of focus so he is just
slightly soft.

Does not kill the shot but we do have a deal where the truck on the left
is sharp as hell and very dynamic looking while you son in the center
looks a tad soft in the middle especially in comparison…

I love sharp foregrounds but most and not all shots depend even more
nailing the focus on my subject.
Yet the even softer truck behind him on the right balances things out
between the two trucks framing him.
Sharpy the truck. And Softy the truck.

The blue sweater against the great grass really works and framed by the
yellow trucks a simple and effective color scheme. The plant in the
right hand corner is gnarly and disturbing I almost ducked and when we
connect it to the big pot it's still gnarly and disturbing. It's kind of
threatening the boy. A contrast to the boys face. Like a branch about to
hit you in the face.
The squatting position of the boy is amazing. It looks like he could
leap up in the air very high and revolve! Very dynamic huge potential!
It's also interesting that he is fairly dressed up yet barefoot.

A very interesting and complex picture possibly a personal masterpiece.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com