Subject: [Leica] New Photos, Central Europe
From: Mike Durling <durling@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:23:33 -0400

As "Dizel" has pointed out, yes we have been to Krakow.  So it's about
time I posted some pictures!

My wife and I decided as an anniversary present to each other we would
go to Europe.  My first time on the continent, her second.  We ended
up on a whirlwind tour of Central Europe.  During our too-brief time
there we visited four incredibly beautiful cities.  My meager attempt
at documenting our trip can be found at
http://www.widomaker.com/~durling/europe/europe.html
All Leica content here!

We made our way around by train.  Anyone visiting that part of the
world should seriously consider that mode of travel.

In some very important ways the LUG really contributed to the trip.
If was not for this group I would not have met two people who gave me
an incredible amount of help in planning and getting around in Europe.

When we arrived at the Krakow Glowny train station we were met by
Stanislaw Stawowy (Dizel).  Stan got us to our hotel, and the next day
took us on an incredible tour of Krakow.  Maybe it was our tour guide,
but Krakow is one of the most beautiful places on earth!  He took us
through ancient catacombs and lofty towers.  We ate ice cream along
the banks of the Vistula and, yes, downed several Zwyiecs, an
excellent brew!  I have never met such a gracious and generous host.

The other person I have to thank is Marty Deveney from Australia.  We
also met through our correspondence here, although he is no longer
active on the list.  He provided me with many logistical details and
recommended some teriffic restaurants in Prague.  More importantly, I
think, he kept me going when I was beginning to doubt my ability to
plan the trip.

On Kyle Cassidy's PLUG page one of the commandments says something
like travelling to a faraway place doesn't make you a great
photographer, it makes you a tourist.  I can't say that I find
anything in that to disagree with, but what the heck, if you are going
you might as well bring the Leica!

By the way, I have a new email address, durling@cox.net  The web page
will probably follow to the new ISP in a couple of weeks.

Comments, questions, or flames are always welcome.

Mike Durling

Replies: Reply from Colin <noctilux@availabledark.com> (Re: [Leica] New Photos, Central Europe)