Subject: Re: [Leica] Downloadable Erwin Puts Book
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:32:26 -0400

Regarding those bad, old lenses.  It is most useful to view them from a
historical perspective, meaning how do those lenses compare to contemporary
lenses manufactured by their competitors.  We all generally understand that
the inexorable march of technology can produce better (not always, though)
products.  Would you rather have a Digital Equipment Corp PDP-8 on your
desk, or today's whizbang PCs and MACS?  How about a Ford Model T instead of
a Ford Jaguar?

The tests merely reflect that in the case of Leica' lenses.  We should all
be happy with the fact that we can get better quality photos (from a
technical standpoint) with today's lenses than with lenses from 50+ years
ago.  We'd be surprised if its otherwise.  Erwin has, from what little I
read, confirmed it with his reports.

So get out those new lenses and start snapping away, so we can have
arguments over the artistic quality of your photos.
AGS