Subject: [Leica] My first PAW
From: "Jeffrey" <jeffrey.fass@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:30:28 -0400

Hello all,

I'm posting my first PAW. It's scary but feels the right thing to do, like a
colonoscopy...

Week 38 is with my Nikon 105 2.5 AIS. (I was still waiting for the M6 to
arrive.) It represents the kee-the-distance, tentative was I've always
photographed people. In fact, a lot of my stuff has been 4x5 over the years,
where it's easy to take pictures of static, dead or unmoving objects.

Week 39 begins my M6 with 50/2 Summicron. It's not easy to translate a 29 mb
scanned image to 300 x 500 pixel 72 dpi. A lot of subtlety is lost.

The Nikon and Leica images were the same film B/W C-41 400TN, processed at
the same time. Inspecting the negatives and the original scans, I see a
significant difference between the Nikkor (which is a fine lens) and the
Summicron. The Summicron is more "open," with overall greater tonal
differentiation and strong transitions. It's easy to see here. I'll bet the
Leica negs would print stunningly.

This was also my first opportunity to do manual metering, and adjusting
exposure based on the light. It's been a *long* time and I'm a bit rusty,
but is familiar as an old shoe.

I'd appreciate feedback on or off list from you folks. Here's the link:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze33hc6/jdfpaw2002.html

Many thanks, Jeffrey Fass

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] My first PAW)