Subject: [Leica] News Groups
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 09:48:34 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

"That's a direct comparison between a Newsgroup and an email list!!!! And
it seems the Newsgroups are far worse."

I hadn't thought about that distinction, Mark, but you are right - mail
lists are usually more civil. rec.audio.pro is useful, not completely spent
on flame wars and some really knowledgeable people are there. I used to
read the list devoted to Ampex tape machines. That was (is) a fascinating
group - lots of diverse people and arcane info. I learned about power
distribution systems and train locomotives. And tape machines. Howard
Sanner (SP?), who appears here now and then, is the list's organizer.

"I'm under the allusion that I'm getting much better sound now I listen to
the Cable DMX Classical music all day. NO people. That's a mixed bag."

As a former classical music DJ, I should be offended at that concept, but
it's probably nice to listen free of all the prattle. No thinly veiled
commercials or periodic begging. Does the box display info about what's
being played?

Cats barfing into the hi fi is a common problem. Maybe that's what tubes
are really good for - too hot for kitty.

Best -

Carl

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] News Groups)