Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts on digital and the impact on Leica
From: "Steve LeHuray" <steve@icommag.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:08:07 -0400

Rob Appleby writes:

> The digital file examples posted in the review are extremely clean - I doubt
> such results are possible from film scans. No doubt the lack of noise means
> they can be manipulated and enlarged far better than scans.
>
> Whether the claim is bullshit or not, the examples are pretty convincing.
> Looks like one hell of a camera, although priced beyond my reach for my
> present needs.
>
> -- Rob

Rob,

Technical things are not my strong suit, but I think those Canon digital
images look TOO sharp.

This reminds me of the war that has been going on in the cinema world for
two decades between film and video. Film is still winning. And one big
reason is that video looks too sharp. If you are going to the theater to see
a movie, who wants to have the feeling you are watching a CNN newscast.

About three years ago ABC Network invited me (along with other magazine
editors) to screen the latest Hi-Def Digital technology on a 60" Plasma
screen. It hurt my eyes it was so sharp, it was un-watchable.

About two years ago another company invited me to a screening where 30
directors of photography were going to evaluate some Hi-Def tests that had
been transferred to 35mm film (at E-Film in Burbank, the leader in this
field) and then screened on a large theater screen. The result from the
DPs?...it looks NICE but still NOT film.

Anyway, this debate will go on for years with no clear winner.

sl