Subject: [Leica] 11MP CMOS was Thoughts on digital
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:00:42 -0400

When I was at PMA looking at all the output from all the digital cameras it
was obvious that the images were carefully styled to avoid resolution
issues.   You could find lovely masses of color but nothing with really fine
detail.  So at that point Austin's points were exactly on target.

Even the images that Monte Zucker was producing  from a prototype D60 showed
high sharpness but not necessarily fine detail.  You could see pores and
hairs but not the fine structure typical under a subjects eyes when shot
with a 75 Lux between F4 and F8.  Nice, but nothing to spend money on.

So then I look at the comparison Reichman shows.  Even though I suspect that
there were wildly different levels of USM applied to the image from the 11MP
CMOS versus the film, the digital file had a lot of sharpness.
Contemplating the image used, it did not have the fine detail you would want
to see, you know the fuzz on a rose that only a really good optical system
brings out.

I know an 11MP image doesn't cut it for me: that's why I upgraded my scanner
from 2700 dpi to 3600 dpi.  On the other hand I believe Austin is correct
that the results shouldn't be as produced.  Possibly Austin was hinting at
the correct answer when he talked about made up information.  Therefore
until I have some images in hand I will operate off the premise that there
is some serious processing going on inside the Canon finding edges and
interpolating data to make really crisp looking images.

All of the above brings to mind the mind game: if the image looks really
good, does it matter if more than half is made up by a committee of
programmers who have created rules about what an image should look like?

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com