Subject: Re: [Leica] re: how easy/expensive is digital
From: "Lea Murphy" <lea@whinydogpress.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:45:50 -0500

I use digital and traditional and both have a special place in my heart.
Mostly I think of digital as 'creative playtime' and traditional as 'real
playtime' because the work I do with either medium is different.

Most of my snapshot work is done with digital anymore...because it's so darn
cheap and so blasted fast. And did I say fun? I can get 100 sheets of Epson
photo gloss paper at Costco for just under 20 bucks, shoot a card full of
images, create 4-up contact sheets in Photoshop at a 250-300 dpi resolution,
print them out, cut in quarters and VIOLA, insta-prints.

I back up all my digital work to cd and keep them on file.

And easy? Today I did a last-minute ad shoot for some friends who own a
restaurant. My job was to shoot their very tired 5 year old with his very
NOT tired 24-month-old brother. It was exhausting work...but fun. I could
edit on the fly with my camera; delete what was awful, shoot more, keep
some, delete, shoot again and so on. I came home, downloaded, created a
contact sheet and the owners will proof out tomorrow. The final image will
be emailed to the magazine for the ad and not a bit of photo paper will have
been used.

Is it expensive? Probably. But what I save on film and processing more than
offset what I spend on inkjet ink and paper. No question.

Rarely do I shoot color film anymore...unless I'm doing a wedding. My color
work is digital 99% of the time. Black and white gets real film.

Lea