Subject: RE: [Leica] re: how easy/expensive is digital
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:09:09 -0700

On 9/30/02 Austin Franklin  wrote:

>> Digital doesn't have the latitude that film does. Exposures have to
>> be done with greater care. Maybe new sensor technology does a better
>> job.
>
>That is purely camera/sensor dependant.  That's not true overall.

Ah ha! So what current camera/sensor combinations have the same exposure
latitude as film?

I know that in the video world the chips in the HDTV cameras have no where near
the latitude that you'd find in Super-16 or 35mm. It's much harder to light for
HDTV than for film. Other costs, obviously, make it worthwhile to pay the price.

But you are saying there are now combinations that are equal to film. Say Tri-X
or Portra 160 or 400.

What are they and when will we see the price-point drop to non-heroic levels?

Peltier cooling for the chip is cheating.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Adam