Subject: Re: [Leica] Rumors of yet another digital approach
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:55:57 -0400

This machine is from the same people that brought you the ICE technology in
the Nikon and Minolta scanners.  The results at PMA were only fair and with
the negatives destroyed in the process it will only take a few "failures" to
drive people away.  I also think that it is too late as digital is hitting
better than 50% of camera sales once you take away the disposables.

I believe that their business model is to place these beasts in high traffic
areas to tempt passing consumers.  I am not sure what the reaction will be
when some people get that shiny CD back, possibly think they have won the
latest Travis Tripp or Snoop Doggy offerings.

The camera industry is trying to get everyone to dump however many film
camera's are lying around the garage, basement, closet shelves and convert
to digital.  If they can control the ruinous product cycle wars there will
be good money to be made converting the masses away from film.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com