Subject: Re: [Leica] Radio (was News Groups)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 07:11:42 +0200

Barney Quinn wrote:
> My God, it never stops around here. I spent the first half of my working life in
> Public Radio. I was one of the people who came to Washington in the early seventies
> to help get NPR going. This is something of which I am very proud.

And you should be proud of that.

  I think that
> Public Radio in America, it's local excesses and low pay not withstanding, is a very
> good thing which has made a major contribution.

It certainly has. It is a shining star in a broadcasting media landscape
dominated by garbage catering to the lowest common denominator. I still
have my tea mugs from WHYY in Philadelphia and I believe even from the
NPR station in Tampa (where we lived until 1990). Sure, it was annoying
to listen to the pledge drives, especially having made my pledge
already, but it is a lot less annoying that having a program interrupted
by commercials every few minutes, as is the case on regular radio and
TV. After all, the pledge drives were only a couple of times a year.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland