Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Color Printer Question
From: Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:52:38 -0400

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:16:43 -0400 , "Ginex, Mike" <mginex@panynj.gov>
wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a really good digital color printer that will produce
>really good 11X14 and 16X20 glossy color prints? I'm thinking about
>complimenting my wet darkroom with some digital capability, just in case I
>need to make a quick print for an emergency competition at my local camera
>club. If you know the price is between $5,000 - $10,000......forget I asked.
>Thanks.

The Epson 2200 and the Canon S9000 are the current class of the field for
home colour printers, and they are both under $1000 (the Canon is more like
$500).  They will print up to 13x19.  To get 16x20 you are talking about
the higher-end Epsons, and for those $5000 might not be a bad guess.

I've had an S9000 for a few months, and the prints are pretty remarkable.
I buggered it up with third-party inks, though, so I'm getting a 2200.

Paul