Subject: RE: [Leica] Rumors of yet another digital approach
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:46:32 -0400

Mark quote BD (with permission)
    "A machine that "dry develops" C-41 film and spits out a CD of 5 mg
scans of the images. He said that you insert the exposed cassette in one
end - doesn't matter what brand or asa - the film is "developed" using a dry
process that develops but does not fix the image. Each image is then someone
"flash" scanned using a burst of light, and the images are written to disc.
The film, which was ruined in the scanning process, is then eaten by the
machine....."

    The company  who makes this machine is Applied Science Fiction. In
Cologne at Photokina, last week, I get their display and played with the
machine. It can deliver prints in various sizes up to 8x10, index prints,
and a CD with three different scans of each shot. (Email, 4x6, and 8x10
quality).
    Yes, the film is eaten by the machine, so there are no negatives... It
is interesting, but the quality is less than acceptable.
    ASF developed the ICE and ROC computer programs for image retouching.
    It is here. Will it succeed, I don't know.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA