Subject: [Leica] Re: Lens Poll
From: "Duane Birkey" <duanebirkey@andinanet.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 19:24:12 -0500

Eric wrote for next lens advice but stated:

>C) 90 2.8 (played with one, but seemed like it should be a future purchase
>after my second lens)

So it sounds like you want a wider lens first..... I went through the same
thing a couple years back.  I bought the 35 f/2 ASPH first and then the 90mm
f/2 Summicron, a second body and finally the 24mm ASPH.

My rational of the 35 Summicron over the Summilux  was to have three lenses
with the same Max aperture... that and I saved about enough money from that
route to buy the 90 summicron shortly after.   I don't think there is much
size or weight saved by going with the 90 Elmarit... So I'd recommend the
extra stop of light.  Of course if money is no object.... I'd get the
Summiluxes all the way around.

Personally I prefer SLR or R equipment for portraiture with anything longer
than a 50mm lens...  For travel shots of people etc... I use an R8 with the
80-200 Vario Elmar more than anything...

I would also say my most used lens on a M body is the 35, followed by the
50.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador