Subject: Re: [Leica] Frequency of CLA?
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 02:15:10 -0400 (EDT)

i agree with nathan.

in addition, use your stuff frequently, and keep an eye on the results.
often mechanical systems drift out of tolerance gradually, so you might see
exposure variations, or increased incicdence of out-of-focus images, and
so on.

with all rangefinders, the first critical test i always run is a focus test,
wide open, with your fastest lens.  this is the adjustment i require
most often.

- -rei

> From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
>
> Jeffrey,
>
> I asked the same question shortly after I joined the LUG about 4 years
> ago, and received a variety of replies. I think that unless you are in
> the habit of dumping your M6 in rivers like Tina or coating them with
> cow dung a la Ted, you do not need particularly frequent CLAs. If you
> can get to one of those Leica Day events which are regularly held by
> dealers, then there is usually also a Leica technician there who will
> give your camera a quick check (rangefinder, shutter speeds) and will
> advice you on the need for a CLA.
>
> Nathan
>
> Jeffrey Fass wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My M6 dates to 1985, just got it a week ago. Seems to work flawlessly.
> > However, I don't have knowledge when the last (if any) CLA was done. Even
> > though it's working gorgeous, would it be prudent to have it CLA'd?
> >
> > Many TIA, Jeffrey Fass

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey