Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Has Art a future?
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 03:37:55 -0400

Nathan wrote:

"I think that we tend to forget that many of the great classical
composers were the pop musicians of their day, and most of the great
pieces of music we know and love today were simple commission jobs for
some prince or king or other rich supporter."

True, somewhat. Handel was very popular as a favourite of the English
court, Mozart had success both in court circles and with the nascent
concert audience. Beethoven was a favorite of cultivated listeners, who's
appeal diminished as his compositions got more advanced and he stopped
performing. It was the opera composers who were really the hit makers, and
not considered front rank innovators.

Many popular works were not artless, despite their origins or popular
success, just as much pop music of the recent past has tremendous craft
behind it. A friend and I were grooving to the Fifth Dimension Saturday
night (after several glasses) and marvelling at the top to bottom beauty of
the arrangements and infectious spirit of those records. Of course, we both
hated that crap when we were teenagers!

But celebrating stuff that is easy to like, as artful as it might be, isn't
quite the point. It's the value of the challenge that difficult works
represent to culture and the possible loss of that challenge that is more
at issue. Posterity might have to make a leap of understanding to
appreciate The Beatles in two centuries, just as we do to appreciate
Beethoven now. But we have to make an effort today to appreciate Stravinsky
or John Adams, Robert Frank or William Eggleston, and their immediate
descendants. Whatever posterity decides, it's those artists who stretch our
minds today who form a cultural landscape that can result in the next
Beethoven, or Lennon&McCartney.

Just because Ansel Adams, for instance, is easy to like, that doesn't make
him a lesser artist. But, given popular recognition of only his most
accessible/famous works, will he be important to the future of photography
or an impediment? Might that one style, the static popular acceptance of
those works as certified masterpieces, with no other artists placed on the
pedestal, end up representing the whole of art photography and thus choke
off acceptance of other, less heroic/idealized concepts?

Worse, might the slick, cheesy, manufactured products of advertising, high
craft in service of the basest purposes, become, by default, all the
popular imagination can accept of photography?

CP