Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: quick lens poll (35/1.4 lens hood problem)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:27:43 -0400

> >Mike Cahill asked:
> > > With all this discussion of the 35/1.4,  has anyone encountered a
> > > problem with the lens hood not staying in a fixed position but rather
> > > rotating in either direction with the slightest twist? Kind of
> > > annoying.  Is there a fix?
> At 06:15 AM 10/3/2002 -0700, sandy carter wrote:
> >Hi Mike
> >
> >I've had this problem the entire four years I've owned the 35/1.4... I'm
> >eager to see if anyone else has this problem and how they've resolved it!
> >
> >thanks for asking the question!
> >sandy
> >www.sandycarterphotography.com
>

> I bought my 35/1.4 in early 1998. The hood on mine is one of the
> best I've
> experienced. It locks on tight via the locking ring and the rubber cap
> stays on when used.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes, that is the later hood, there was a version just before that, that was
terrible...you looked at it funny, and it would fall off.  It was only held
on by two little bitty floppy plastic ears.

My lense, though new about two years ago, came with the earlier hood...and I
went back to the seller and asked for the later hood, and he got it for me.
It works great.  The annoying thing, is you couldn't tell which hood type
was in what 35/1.4 box...as the box part numbers were identical, though the
hood part numbers were not.

If you check Erwin's site, I believe he lists the two hoods:

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/overview/listm.html

12589 is the current one (and the one I am using with the locking collar),
and 12587 is the earlier one.

Regards,

Austin