Subject: Re: [Leica] Increased grain in JOBO processing
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 16:00:36 -0400

- --On Thursday, October 03, 2002 12:34:57 PM -0700 Adam Bridge
<abridge@mac.com> wrote:

> On 10/3/02 Nathan Wajsman  wrote:
>
>> You will most likely need to modify some of your procedures with the
>> Jobo. First, with XTOL the pre-soak is not required. Second, you may
>> want to consider trying 1+2 or 1+3 dilutions. Finally, you will need to
>> run your own tests to determine the proper development times. Obviously,
>> with the continuous agitation they will be shorter than what you are
>> used to, but exactly how much shorter is something you have to determine
>> for yourself. A good starting point is 15% shorter than with
>> intermittent agitation.
>
> Thanks Nathan,
>
> I'm hearing another vote not to pre-soak so I'll be experimenting with
> that.
>
> I was using the times from the XTOL datasheet for the temperature I was
> able to achieve.
>
> I'll try the next roll at 20 C and see what happens.

You can pre-soak or not pre-soak, it doesn't matter. The reason you see
that pre-soak isn't necessary with XTOL is that Kodak did the testing to
establish the times without presoak in rotary processors so there isn't any
guesswork. The times with 5-minute presoak are essentially the times
published for small tanks with hand-inversion agitation. Take your pick.

Since I use an ATL-1000, I don't have a choice -- the presoak is programmed
into the machine. Everything works fine with the hand-inversion times.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.