Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Virus stuff....
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:50:59 +0800

Then Mark Pope wrote:

>Fair point Neil, but I would NEVER, EVER skimp on AV software.  It's just
>too risky IMO.  So Norton AV costs up to £50.  There are others that are
>shareware or even freeware, so there is no real justification to not having
>AV software installed or a firewall for that matter.
>£50 is a bargain compared to the disruption and heartache that a nasty virus
>that trashes your hard disk, records keystrokes, thereby picking up and
>transmitting  user Ids and passwords.

snip....

We pay for home insurance, life insurance, accident insurance, malpractice
insurance and most time  we hardly get to use them (thank God for that).
For the past one month alone, I have been bombarded by emails with all
sorts of viruses and on EVERY occasion my Norton AV has defended my PC
against them. I cannot forget that time some years back when my PC was hit
by a virus which took me many man-hours and $$$ to clean up by a
professional. Why stinge on $50 for peace of mind? My NAV updates itself
every now and then and I can really feel completely safe and sleep well.

Dan K.