Subject: Re: [Leica] flat-bed scanner (for Mac) recommendations
From: "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:20:10 -0500

You are right about the adapter, William.  While I have (at work) a nice
high end Microtek with transparency adapter, there is no reason that you
could not use any even light source for scanning sheets of negs or a flatbed
of slides.

Your small light table turned upside down would do just fine.  You might
want to run the color target on the scanner if the fluorescent lights are a
different color from the one that came with your scanner.

Speaking of fluorescent lights in scanners, there's also no reason you
cannot use the tubes they sell at your neighborhood hardware store in your
scanner, if it fits. You just need to run the color correction target to
adjust for white balance.  The scanner does not care what color the light
is, as long as you tell it what color is white.

In the case of Microtek, it saved LOTS of $$$, and works just fine.

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com