Subject: Re: [Leica] Help with leica lens
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 22:12:02 +0200

Hi Chris,

Others have already answered your question re which lenses work. I would
suggest, however, that if you are on a tight budget, then the lens is
not the thing to skimp on--after all, it is the lens that takes the
picture. Voigtlander has been mentioned as a source of lenses; but they
also make (or, more accurately, Cosina does) an excellent M-compatible
body, the Bessa R2, which costs less than $500 new and which would leave
room in your budget for a decent Leica lens like a second-hand 50mm or
35mm Summicron. And compared to your M 4-2 it gives you a built-in light
meter, a faster flash synch speed, and again, it would be new.

Whatever you decide, I think that putting some inferior Russian lens or
an ancient LTM lens on your M4-2 defeats the whole purpose of getting
into Leica. If you must compromise, then one of the modern Voigtlander
lenses will provide vastly better performance.

Nathan