Subject: [Leica] Novice M user first impressions
From: "Jeffrey Fass" <happy.eyeball@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:14:23 -0400

Hi to all,

I've been using my M with a 50 for several weeks now. It's my first
experience with a rangefinder (my Hexar fixed lens and P&S don't count).

It's growing on me fast. The camera itself feels good to hold.

It's not easy to do speed/aperture at first. I've become lazy over the years
with my Nikon F's with aperture priority or complete automation. I have to
relearn a bit, though it's like riding a bike - you never really forget.

Since I can remember, I never liked idiot lights for metering in the
viewfinder. I'd rather have a series of lights or a needle so I know *how*
far off I am. Then again, once exposure is determined I try to leave it or
adjust it based on the situation, rather than continuously metering.

The lens is stunning. There's contrast, detail, finesse. My Nikkors were
consistently sharp, but "heavy," like a laundry marker is dense. Hard to
explain but easy to see. First impression is that the Nikkors are
contrastier, but I don't think so. "Heavier." Those who know what I mean
know what I mean.

Focusing is deliberate and slow, again having gotten used to AF. I miss
things.

I love the viewfinder. People have written about how SLR viewfinders are
narrow, blinkered views of the world. I agree. It nice how things drift in
and out of the framelines. It helps composition and makes framing a shot a
larger process. Focusing itself is straightforward enough.

I'm accustomed to SLR finders, so it's strange how the 50mm seems longer
than it is to me. Because of the small-than-finder window frameline perhaps,
using the 50 feels like using a longer lens.

Just got my 90 this afternoon. Very strange. I can't see DOF. I have no idea
what'll be in or out of focus, and how much. Going to be interesting.

So far quite an adventure. Thank you all for both passive and active
encouragement.

Cheers, Jeffrey Fass