Subject: Re: [Leica] Bonarka/Plaszow camp
From: "Dizel" <webmaster@fucha.pl>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:25:09 +0200

> Thanks for posting these, they were of obvious emotional import for me,
> as a son of a Holocaust survivor. How did you get inside the place?

Unfortunately, it is closed. But there is generous hole in the net
around it and going into this quarry doesn't even require special
physical force. What is goog, as I, with my injured leg, wouldn't
be able to go there :)

> will be in Poland for a week in December and was thinking of taking a
> drive to Krakow anyway (I will be based in Wroclaw).

Krakow is really a beautiful city. And - if your father was living in
Kazimierz, an old Jewish part of Krakow, then you may probably even
find his house; if you have any details - send them to me on a
priv and I will look for it.

> If it involves
> having to talk your way  past someone, no problem, as I speak Polish.

Practically everyone here (oh.. say almost 40% of population) speaks English :)
Especially in such a touristic centre like Krakow is :)
And - as a practical advice - take Visa/Mastercard with you. Here you can use
it in a lot of shops, hotels, even when buying a train ticket.
Also, I know of one nice hotel here - small,  hidden in a middle
of Kazimierz. If you ask Mike Durling, he can write you his impressions
about it.

If you write on priv, I will probably be able to help you more,
not disturbing other LUG readers :)
- --
                                St.
               (XS360 Diesel - Sampo Lappelil, ¬liMC)