Subject: [Leica] The Eyes Have It
From: Rob Heyman <rheyman@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:56:07 +1000

Hi everyone.

Well, the Big Reunion was a success. The candid photos taken at the
event were not. My current thinking is that events like this are best
left to people who have no family ties with the people involved. I found
I was not able to stay aloof from the very familiar people and
surroundings and consequently was unable to recognise locations that
were condusive to interesting photographs. (Familiarity breeds contempt)
I found myself photographing in a candid, uncontrolled way that I tell
others not to do. Maybe I was just having a bad three days.

I think if there is ever a next time I will hire competent people like
Robert Appleby or Kyle or Doug Kim. People who can recognise a shot
without the distraction of favourite aunts who should or should not be
in the picture.

My normal method of working is to be in complete control of the location
and the people are there specifically to be photographed. Neither of
these criteria were satisfied at this event. I have often found it
difficult to photograph people I know well. Is this some type of
syndrome?

Anyway, to redeem myself, at least in my own mind, I have posted a few
shots that have a common theme. The eyes of these kids are the main
feature of the set that I have posted at:

http://www.leica-gallery.net/heymanphoto/folder-3429.html

There may be some more eyes from this weeks stuff. If so I will add them
asap.

Rob

Replies: Reply from "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] The Eyes Have It)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] The Eyes Have It)