Subject: Re: [Leica] Everdon, Northamptonshire
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 22:14:18 -0400

Graham replied to Roger:

"I use a red filter quite a bit but for reasons I don't understand the
extreme effect of the red filter doesn't make it through my scans. I use the
HP S20 scanner + Vuescan software. There is no profile setting for Tri X in
Vuescan and the HP 20 is mucho cheapo so it could be one or a both of these
factors. If the red effect were getting through the scans I would favour the
orange filter more because I do not like blue sky rendered as black.
Scrolling the pics will give you all the filter info."

Gee, I thought you used a yellow filter - the contrast of your photos
appears much flatter than a red would give.

I have yet to scan any B&W, so for what it's worth, I wouldn't think the
scanner's quality would be so much at issue. The filter is having it's
effect on the film. Maybe what you are seeing is a generally flat contrast
in the scans. I use a Coolscan 3, which is similar to your HP in
capability, and also Vuescan. I find I have to increase contrast on almost
every image after capture.

Hamrick's idea seems to be that you extract the fullest range captured on
the film, then decide what to discard or modify, rather than having the SW
make the decision for you - like Silverfast and Nikonscan does, in my
experience. Could it be that your min point is referenced more to the film
fog, and the other end to density that is lost in scanner noise?

Beautiful photos this week, Graham.

Carl