Subject: Re: [Leica] Anna's Hummingbird
From: "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:09:08 +0100

From: "Doug Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net>
To: <leica@topica.com>; <leica_reflex_forum@topica.com>;
<leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: 14 October 2002 17:15
Subject: [Leica] Anna's Hummingbird

> I have a "new" scanner, a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 purchased used.  There
> are a lot of old slides I can scan now.  This one is from 1988, made while
> my (then) infant daughter was napping.
>
> The Anna's Hummingbird is a year-round resident of the west coast of North
> America.  This particular bird's domain was anywhere within 5 second's
> flight distance of the feeders in my back yard, a region of about a 1/4
mile
> radius (slight exaggeration).  He had a favorite perch and fortunately for
> me it was at my eye level.  By approaching slowly and calmly on foot, I
was
> able to get within 6 feet of the bird.  The 400mm Telyt will focus that
> close with the dedicated extension tube 14182.  The tech stuff: hand-held
> Leicaflex SL with 400mm f/6.8 Telyt, shoulder stock, 14182 extension tube,
> K64.
>
> The URL:  http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/anhu0.html
>
> Doug Herr
Hi Douglas,
I read the explanation of how you got this shot and all the elements
necessary, equipment, knowledge of domain, favourite perch, slow approach
and the good fortune for the bird to be at eye level. I understand all of
that but when I look at the photograph all I can think is 'how on earth does
he get a shot like that?' It has absolutely breathtaking quality and detail.
I am in awe.
- --Graham